Monday, March 2, 2009

X is for X-RAY


The letter of the week at school this week is "X". I find it ironic that Mason had his first "X" ray today. Yep, that is right....my 3 (almost 4 year old), had to have a picture taken today of his collar bone. The story to how we got to this point, goes like this.....


Saturday afternoon....Mason is racing down the driveway on his bike, jams on the breaks, fish tails and high sides himself right onto the pavement, via his right shoulder. He fusses a bit, but gets back up and starts playing, because he had friends over...and obviously can't let a little crash slow him down. No problems the rest of the evening.


Sunday morning @ 2am. We hear a scream and crying from Mason. We have no idea what had happened, we chalk it up to a bad dream and put him in his bed. Mike picks him up to carry him back to his room and cries even louder. We think he is being dramatic, and brush it off.


Sunday morning @ 7:30....the poor kid is in PAIN! He tells us he fell out of bed and hurt his shoulder. He is obviously injured because he just sits on the couch all morning (not normal for our child at all!). We give him some ice, tylenol, and lots of hugs. You can see in his eyes that he isn't right, but he tries to go about his normal day with a flacid right arm. I hope no one passes judgement on my lack of taking him to the Urgent Care on a gorgeous Sunday! I mean, yes...it was 75 degrees out and we were knee-deep in dirt, gardening! Really, if I thought the doctor would have any magical cure for his debility, I would have gone...but I pretty much chalked the injury up to a bruised shoulder.


Sunday evening.... we are getting Mason ready to bed and I take a good look at him and notice his right collarbone looks a bit swollen. He still wails in pain when I try to get near it and touch it. I figured, ok.....tomorrow we will get a picture of it.


Monday morning.... doctor says "I think it is bruised not broken." I mean, Mason was even high-fiving Dr. Park! But the X-ray says..."Non-displaced Clavicle Fracture." And that is our diagnosis.


My son has his 1st broken bone just shy of his 4th birthday. I guess I am pretty calm about this because I know there will be many more of these. If he is anything like his Dad, we might end up with our own parking spot at the ER! As for now, he loves his ice packs, his sling, his gardening gloves (thanks Grandma), hugs, and the attention (of course!). We are still trying to figure out EXACTLY what happened...was it the bike accident or falling out of bed? I think we have concluded that it was him falling out of bed. Now, I feel even more guilty! But at least my son has something to share @ school this week for the letter "X". His very first X-ray.

No comments: