Tuesday, March 3, 2009

An Orange Tribute






When I was growing up, going to my Nana's house meant playing with vintage barbies, making cookies, and Orange Julius'. My Nana had a special blender just for this occasion. My sister and I would go out to the backyard and pick the oranges off the tree, squeeze them into juice and add the other ingredients. I don't remember exactly what went in them and what the ratio was, but I do remember the raw egg. I guess this gave the drink some sort of froth that you can't get without the addition of possible salmonella poisoning!

Now that we live in my Nana's home, there are just certain traditions that I have to (and want to) keep alive! So, I got online and found a few recipes for Orange Julius (minus the raw egg). I even held onto Nana's vintage blender! She would be so proud to know my boys have now experienced their first Orange Julius mustaches, using the same ingredients she did, and at the same spot in her kitchen.


Here is my version on Nana's Orange Julius


1 cup fresh squeezed Orange Juice (or more if you like)

1 cup milk (I used 1% milk)

1/4 c. sugar (I used less because the oranges are so sweet)

1 tsp. vanilla

~ 1 cup ice

Add all ingredients to blender and WA-LA....


** One thing to know about me... I hardly follow recipes and I don't like to measure, so I apologize in advance if your Julius takes some tweaking.


ENJOY



3 comments:

Carol said...

great idea, haven't made oj in a long time, cute picture of Mason.

Unknown said...

I remember Orange Julius, we used to go there after ice-skating at Laurel Plaza.
Great pics, I love your photography Marisa!

Sara Reddy said...

Love the orange julius mustache!