Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A cup of Health

I have been sick... my goodness, this one lasted a whole week! I even went to Urgent Care on Sunday in hopes that the good 'ol Doc would give me some magic pill to make my relentless cough disappear. Haaa... who was I kidding? I just had the same virus that everyone else has been walking around with. All I came home with was some cough medicine with codeine. Which, I might add...is the best cough medicine in the world! I am sure my husband can agree, since I am now not waking him up a few times a night coughing up a lung.



This brings me to my attempt of self medicating. I have tried all the home remedies out there, like Hot Totties to put me to sleep, baking soda/salt tinctures up my nose to clear me out, hot steamy showers (no...not the one's you are thinking of), Riiii---cooooo-laaaaaa's, etc etc etc. Finally, I dug deep...really deep....back to my old days as a juice bar girl at Ki's in Cardiff. Those were the days...ok, I am daydreaming. Do you want to know what I did??? I JUICED! I remember being sick and having Ki, herself make me up the most delicious fresh squeezed juices and saying to me...drink this and you will feel better. So, I made fresh CARROT APPLE GINGER juice. And...WA-LA.... my cold was gone! This could have been some sort of coincidence, but I am thinking it really did the trick. It was my life saver, my lucky star, my pot of gold...heck, it was my cup of HEALTH.



If you want to try it for yourself, this is how you make it. (you will need a juicer for this)



~1" piece of fresh peeled ginger

~a few apples (leave the skin and everything on them)

~a few carrots






Run it through your juicer (in that order), and you got yourself a delicious sweet & spicey cleansing drink loaded with Vitamins A & C.


Mason even loved it.













CHEERS TO YOUR HEALTH!

2 comments:

Carol said...

okay, we're trying, we can even drink prophalactically (is that a word?).

Sara Reddy said...

I'm a big believer in juicing. There's an AMAZING book that cross-references ingredients and ailments and nutritional value. So you can look up "headache" and it will tell you what to juice. Or you can look up an ingredient, and it tells you what the nutritional value is, and how it can help you. It's called "Super Juice" by Michael Van Straten. One guess as to which curly-haired lady gave this to me :)