Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A day in the life of Spring

I love Spring...there is something just so exciting, fresh, & new about Spring. Maybe this is why it is the time of new birth...a time to dust of our feathers and dive head first into whatever may come our way. For us, our new endeavor is gardening. I have always loved to dig my hands in the dirt. Thanks Mom & Dad for showing me the way to pull out a weed, cut back a palm, trim back bushes, & plant a tomato plant. I feel like we just got thrown into gardening haven. Our home is surrounded by fruit trees, rose bushes, ferns, you name it...we probably have it. There are endless areas to throw a plant in the ground and see what happens. That is the part I love about it, the uncertainty, excitement, & accomplishment of growing something from a seed, or tiny plant into something we can eat or view just for it's pure beauty. I was walking around the yard today and it just inspired me. The pomegranate tree has the most bright red flowers on it, ready to become a sweet but tart fruit.























The fig tree's electric green leaves have such a distinct shape
with beautiful fig buds getting bigger every day.



















And the yellow plum, with it's bright white flowers ready to make way into sweet yellow goodness.
I am not sure what this beauty is, I am thinking it is an apricot or peach, the bees are loving the sweet nectar coming from these beautiful pink flowers.






And here is the start of my tomato garden. We have so many gophers, so we dug out a space behind the shed, hoping it will give these plants a chance to grow! We already had some sort of critter try to eat one the other night, so we wrapped the cages in celophane to keep them away and provide some extra heat for them to grow.
My next blog will be about all the nasty bugs we have come across since we started our gardening/composting expedition.... and let me tell you, that is the part I am not quite digging about the garden:)

1 comment:

Sara Reddy said...

I know jealousy is an ugly emotion, but I'm JEALOUS! Really, though, I'm so happy for you... and I swear I'm going through the same thing at our house, on a smaller level. There's something about gardening. It's not often in life you can see DIRECT results of your hard work in such tangible ways. So gratifying. Can't wait to come see it!