Wednesday, September 22, 2010

nothings says fall like pumpkins & SOUP

First of all....my blog has been lacking for the last SEVERAL months... Not sure why, but here I am again.




I keep thinking that Summer might just show up this year....but it hasn't. And when I went to Trader Joe's and I saw Pumpkins & gourds for sale, I came to the sad conclusion that I really didn't have a summer and it is time to move on to my 2nd favorite time of the year. FALL! So, we bought pumkins & squash, started my fall decorating
& made

SOUP.




Butternut Squash soup is an all time fav of mine.... I have made it with curry, with coconut milk, & with apples. But this time, I was inspired by Roasted Corn (amazingly enough, it is frozen in a bag from Trader Joe's). So here is how my delish soup came about.




Roasted Butternut Squash & Corn Soup


makes ~ 4 hearty servings




1 large butternut squash (halved and seeded)


*tip is to poke with fork & microwave a few minutes so you don't risk chopping your hand off when cutting.




a few Tbsp. olive oil

2 garlic cloves

1 medium sized white/yellow onion

2 celery stalks

1/2 to 1 cup frozen roasted corn (or fresh would be yummy too!)

some mexican seasoning (I get mine from bulk @ Henry's)

2 cups broth of your choice (I used chicken)

1/4 c. half and half

salt & pepper to taste

fresh cilantro for garnish


Heat oven to 400 degrees

Halve butternut squash and place in large baking dish with a 1/2 inch of water on the bottom. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and slice garlic & put in the hole of the squash. Bake about 30 to 45 minutes (until soft and browned).


Meanwhile, sautee onion, celery & corn with olive oil until soft. When squash is done (and cooled), peel & place in blender or cuisinart with onion mixture and puree. Add about 2 cups veggie (or chicken) broth to thin out.


Reheat on stove, add seasonings to your liking. Just before serving, add the half and half.

Garnish with extra corn & chopped cilantro.

Serve over brown rice (if desired)




No comments: